Man sentenced in deadly South Bend home invasion - Fox 28: South Bend, Elkhart IN News, Weather, Sports

Man sentenced in deadly South Bend home invasion

Posted:
Lamar (Courtesy St. Joseph County Police) Lamar (Courtesy St. Joseph County Police)

One of five people charged in a deadly home invasion in South Bend has been sentenced Friday.

A judge sentenced 22-year-old Khawann Lamar to the maximum of 65 years in prison for Felony Murder. Lamar pleaded guilty in July.

Police say Lamar, along with four other men, broke into a home on the 1000 block of North Michigan Street in South Bend in December of 2012.  Police arrested the men as they were leaving the home.  Five people, including two children, were found injured inside the home.  One of them, Sandra Price, died from her injuries on January 5.

Of the five suspects, only two, Nate Coley and Gemari Cotton, are still awaiting trial. Both are scheduled for November. 19-year-old Lee Griffin was found guilty of two counts of Felony Murder and four counts of Robbery on Thursday. Walter Neely pleaded guilty to Murder and Robbery and was sentenced to 115 years in prison. 

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Niles football huddles together to support captain who lost his father

    Niles football huddles together to support captain who lost his father

    Sean Craig is no doubt one of the leaders and key players for the Niles Vikings football team. He's a senior and one of the toughest kids in Southwest Michigan. Some would say he's "a chip off the old block". He's just like his dad. For Craig, there could be no greater compliment. His father, James Craig, passed away earlier this week.More >>
    Sean Craig is no doubt one of the leaders and key players for the Niles Vikings football team. He's a senior and one of the toughest kids in Southwest Michigan. Some would say he's "a chip off the old block". He's just like his dad. For Craig, there could be no greater compliment. His father, James Craig, passed away earlier this week.More >>
  • Did South Bend's second gang member call-in work?

    Did South Bend's second gang member call-in work?

    Police, prosecutors and community activists say last night's call-in proved promisingPolice, prosecutors and community activists say last night's call-in proved promising
    They're calling it a success: South Bend's second gang leader call-in. Four months after an initial sit-down, gang members were once again across the table from prosecutors, police chiefs and community activists. "If you don't want to help yourself, then we're going to stop you," said St. Joseph County Chief Deputy Prosecutor Ken Cotter. That's the message law enforcement delivered to 23 South Bend gang members last night for one hour. They also offered them a way to get out of gangs. So wh...More >>
    They're calling it a success: South Bend's second gang leader call-in. Four months after an initial sit-down, gang members were once again across the table from prosecutors, police chiefs and community activists. "If you don't want to help yourself, then we're going to stop you," said St. Joseph County Chief Deputy Prosecutor Ken Cotter. That's the message law enforcement delivered to 23 South Bend gang members last night for one hour. They also offered them a way to get out of gangs. So wh...More >>
  • What roads will be restricted for holiday drivers?

    What roads will be restricted for holiday drivers?

    As travelers head out for the holiday weekend the Indiana Department of Transportation is attempting to make traveling a little safer and more efficient. In a press release Friday INDOT announced they have filed a road work moratorium from Friday Aug. 29 until the morning hours of Tuesday, Sept. 2. INDOT said wherever possible, road restrictions would be removed to ease the traffic flow for holiday drivers. Some areas, however, will not be reopened due to safety concerns. You can find a list...More >>
    As travelers head out for the holiday weekend the Indiana Department of Transportation is attempting to make traveling a little safer and more efficient. In a press release Friday INDOT announced they have filed a road work moratorium from Friday Aug. 29 until the morning hours of Tuesday, Sept. 2. INDOT said wherever possible, road restrictions would be removed to ease the traffic flow for holiday drivers. Some areas, however, will not be reopened due to safety concerns. You can find a list...More >>
Powered by WorldNow

Fox 28

WSJV-TV FOX 28
58096 County Road 7, South
Elkhart, IN 46517

Switchboard: 574.679.9758
News Phone: 574.679.4545
Station Fax: 574.294.1267
Email: fox28news@fox28.com

All content ©Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WSJV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Heather Stewart at (574) 343-5310. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.