South Bend man sentenced for shooting at police during a chase - Fox 28: South Bend, Elkhart IN News, Weather, Sports

South Bend man sentenced for shooting at police during a chase

Posted:
Joseph Fuentes (Courtesy St. Joseph Co. Police) Joseph Fuentes (Courtesy St. Joseph Co. Police)

A man convicted for shooting at a South Bend Police Officer during a chase will spend 50 years in prison.

Joseph Fuentes, 37, was sentenced on Wednesday after being convicted of Attempted Murder, Criminal Recklessness, Resisting Law Enforcement, and Felon in Possession of a Handgun.

In October of last year, police were called out to reports of an armed disturbance.  Police found Fuentes and another man, Jaime Duron, and attempted to take them into custody.  Fuentes fled in a car, and fired a shot from a handgun during the chase.

Fuentes was found guilty in September of this year.  Duron,38, was convicted of Intimidation, a Class A Misdemeanor. He was sentenced to one year, with 6 months suspended, and 6 months probation.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Niles football huddles together to support captain who lost his father

    Niles football huddles together to support captain who lost his father

    Sean Craig is no doubt one of the leaders and key players for the Niles Vikings football team. He's a senior and one of the toughest kids in Southwest Michigan. Some would say he's "a chip off the old block". He's just like his dad. For Craig, there could be no greater compliment. His father, James Craig, passed away earlier this week.More >>
    Sean Craig is no doubt one of the leaders and key players for the Niles Vikings football team. He's a senior and one of the toughest kids in Southwest Michigan. Some would say he's "a chip off the old block". He's just like his dad. For Craig, there could be no greater compliment. His father, James Craig, passed away earlier this week.More >>
  • Police: No more searches set for missing infant

    Police: No more searches set for missing infant

    Indianapolis police say they plan no additional searches for a missing infant whose father told officers a couple knocked him out and abducted the 6-week-old.More >>
    Indianapolis police say they plan no additional searches for a missing infant whose father told officers a couple knocked him out and abducted the 6-week-old.More >>
  • Man acquitted in triple-slaying seeks new judgment

    Man acquitted in triple-slaying seeks new judgment

    A former Indiana State trooper acquitted last year in the fatal shootings of his wife and two children is asking a judge to hold another man convicted in the case accountable for the slayings.More >>
    A former Indiana State trooper acquitted last year in the fatal shootings of his wife and two children is asking a judge to hold another man convicted in the case accountable for the slayings.More >>
Powered by WorldNow

Fox 28

WSJV-TV FOX 28
58096 County Road 7, South
Elkhart, IN 46517

Switchboard: 574.679.9758
News Phone: 574.679.4545
Station Fax: 574.294.1267
Email: fox28news@fox28.com

All content ©Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WSJV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Heather Stewart at (574) 343-5310. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.