UPDATE: More freeze warnings for local water systems - Fox 28: South Bend, Elkhart IN News, Weather, Sports

UPDATE: More freeze warnings for local water systems


Michiana's continued cold means more local utilities are issuing freeze warnings for their systems.


Goshen Water Utility issued a freeze warning on Tuesday. The utility says some water customers have started to experience frozen service.

The utility says crews have identified the frost line under the pavement to be at 4.5 feet down, causing some lines to freeze or break. They're asking all residential and commercial customers leave a single cold faucet running. They recommend a small stream about the size of a pencil lead. Customers who do leave water running can contact the business office at 574-533-9399 to get a billing adjustment on their water and sewer rates to account for the increased usage.

Customers who experience loss of water service of a slower than normal water flow call the utility's maintenance department at 574-534-5306.


The Town of Middlebury issued a freeze warning for customers on January 29. On Tuesday, the town said the warning would be in effect into March.

Middlebury is also asking customers to leave water running to help keep water flowing and prevent lines from freezing.

Customers who do keep their water running can call the town at 574-825-1499 to get their bills adjusted for the increased usage.


Bremen Director of Operations is asking all residents within the City of Bremen run a trickle of water the size of a pencil lead to prevent frozen pipes until further notice.

Anyone with questions should contact the Bremen Clerk's Office 574-546-4324 between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.


Rochester says they have started to experience frozen water and sewer lines. Their reports indicate the frost line is about 4 feet deep.

As a result, the city is issuing a freeze warning.

They recommend all water and sewer customers, both residential and commercial, leave their water running in a small stream until the city announces a stop to the warning.

If the weather warms above freezing, the city advises you should still leave the water running. They say as thawing occurs the frost line actually lowers.

Residents and businesses that do leave their water running will receive an adjustment on their bills that runs until the cancellation of the freeze warning.

Anyone with questions should contact the Utility Office at 574-223-3412.


The Town of Walkerton Water Department is asking residents to leave their water running in a pencil-thin stream until further notice.

Residents are asked not to shut off water even if warmer temperatures occur. The warmer temperatures will force the frost line deeper as the above ground warms up.

If freezing does occur, they advice you leave the faucet or faucets open. They say a frozen pipe will still need pressure relief to prevent a pipe burst.

All residents and business owners that run water should contact the Walkerton Clerk Treasurer's office at 574-586-3711 with their name and address to get an adjustment to their bill for the additional usage.


With the frost level in the area reaching over 3 feet in depth and a thick snow cover, Culver has experienced an influx of calls about frozen pipes. We ask that all water utility users open a faucet to trickle water to avoid frozen pipes. We also ask if you are going to leave your faucet trickle that you contact the Town Hall at 574-842-3140 so we can document for any potential adjustments.

If you discover frozen pipes, please contact Town Hall so we can document those as well.

If you have any questions, please contact Town Hall at (574) 842-3140.

Powered by WorldNow

Fox 28

58096 County Road 7, South
Elkhart, IN 46517

Switchboard: 574.679.9758
News Phone: 574.679.4545
Station Fax: 574.294.1267
Email: fox28news@fox28.com

All content ©Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WSJV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Heather Stewart at (574) 343-5310. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.