Report: Not enough evidence to conclude Davis violated oath - Fox 28: South Bend, Elkhart IN News, Weather, Sports

Report: Not enough evidence to conclude Henry Davis Jr. violated oath with Facebook posts

Posted:

The South Bend Common Council Rules Committee is reviewing the findings of the council attorney following a series of complaints against Councilman Henry Davis Jr.  The complaints came following a controversial picture and link posted on his official Facebook page earlier this year.

The 128-page document will be examined by the committee, and further action could be taken when they meet again next month.  FOX28 News has a copy of the document.  In it, Attorney Kathleen Cekanski-Farrand says that there is not enough evidence to find that Davis violated his Oath of Office. 

"Social media is a very changing area of the law," Cekanski-Farrand said.

The report includes nine written complaints. One of the complaints was filed by Becky Kaiser. "It's not about Henry." she said. "It's about what Henry did, and he still doesn't seem to understand that he had to go look for that picture."

Also included in the report were interviews between the Council Attorney and Davis himself. In the interviews, he says he posted the image after watching some TV programs, which included the Real House Wives of Atlanta and Grammy's. He said those programs showed "Beyonce was having sex with a chair," and Queen Latifah was "marrying people with alternative lifestyles."

The report says there is enough evidence to violate a South Bend Municipal Code, which requires Council members to observe the highest standards of conduct.

"There is not enough evidence at this time to conclude that there was a willful or malicious violation by Council Member Henry Davis through his Facebook posting.  Nevertheless, it can be reasonably concluded that there is evidence that the public trust was violated," the report said.

Becky Kaiser attended the hearing and said based on what she saw and heard today, she does not think action will be taken against Davis. "It's going to be the court of public opinion and that's really all it's about," she said.

Davis has publicly apologized for the post saying, "Many people have found it offensive. It was a mistake on my part and for that I am truly remorseful and I ask for your forgiveness."

The Rules Committee will review the findings during session during the first week of April. This group will provide an advisory recommendation to the full nine-member City Council regarding what action to take. Councilman Davis is allowed to help his case in the meantime.

"He has the right to supplement anything that is in the report if he believes there is additional information that the Council Rules Committee could have," Cekanski-Farrand said.

The possibility that Davis be removed is not ruled out. It would take a two-thirds vote from the full Council to do so.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • "The state should have been notified," Senator Donnelly responds to administration's placement of undocumented children in Indiana

    "The state should have been notified," Senator Donnelly responds to administration's placement of undocumented children in Indiana

    Indiana U.S. Senator Joe Donnelly says the crisis on the southern border needs to be addressed quickly. During a conversation with FOX28 Wednesday, Donnelly said he expected his colleagues in the Senate to pass an emergency bill. "What the bills that were there today would help us do is process them a little bit faster," he said. "What I'm trying to do is to process these individuals as quickly as possible and then send them to their home countries because they're here in a way that's not leg...More >>
    Indiana U.S. Senator Joe Donnelly says the crisis on the southern border needs to be addressed quickly. During a conversation with FOX28 Wednesday, Donnelly said he expected his colleagues in the Senate to pass an emergency bill. "What the bills that were there today would help us do is process them a little bit faster," he said. "What I'm trying to do is to process these individuals as quickly as possible and then send them to their home countries because they're here in a way that's not leg...More >>
  • Two shot, one killed in downtown Chicago office building

    Two shot, one killed in downtown Chicago office building

    200 block of LaSalle in Chicago (FOX32 photo)200 block of LaSalle in Chicago (FOX32 photo)
    CHICAGO (FOX 32 News) - A recently demoted executive entered a Loop office building in Chicago on Thursday morning and shot the company’s CEO before turning the gun on himself and committing suicide, authorities said. The shooting happened just before 10 a.m. at the ArrowStream company on the 17th floor of the Bank of America building, 231 S. LaSalle St. “Apparently he was despondent over the fact that he got demoted,” Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy said.More >>
    CHICAGO (FOX 32 News) - A recently demoted executive entered a Loop office building in Chicago on Thursday morning and shot the company’s CEO before turning the gun on himself and committing suicide, authorities said. The shooting happened just before 10 a.m. at the ArrowStream company on the 17th floor of the Bank of America building, 231 S. LaSalle St. “Apparently he was despondent over the fact that he got demoted,” Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy said.More >>
  • South Bend Police looking for a man who allegedly exposed himself to children

    South Bend Police looking for a man who allegedly exposed himself to children

    Wednesday afternoon, a seven-year-old boy was playing with his six-year-old friend on the 1000 block of South Ironwood, when an unknown male tried to lure the children to a nearby garage according to the South Bend Police Department.The children refused at which point the man exposed his genitalia. The children ran into a nearby home and the suspect left the area in a direction unknown to police.The man is described as having gray balding hair and wearing light colored shorts.More >>
    Wednesday afternoon, a seven-year-old boy was playing with his six-year-old friend on the 1000 block of South Ironwood, when an unknown male tried to lure the children to a nearby garage according to the South Bend Police Department.The children refused at which point the man exposed his genitalia. The children ran into a nearby home and the suspect left the area in a direction unknown to police.The man is described as having gray balding hair and wearing light colored shorts.More >>
Powered by WorldNow

Fox 28

WSJV-TV FOX 28
58096 County Road 7, South
Elkhart, IN 46517

Switchboard: 574.679.9758
News Phone: 574.679.4545
Station Fax: 574.294.1267
Email: fox28news@fox28.com

All content ©Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WSJV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Heather Stewart at (574) 343-5310. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.