Restaurant fire in Granger - Fox 28: South Bend, Elkhart IN News, Weather, Sports

Restaurant fire in Granger

Crews responded Thursday morning to a fire at a restaurant on the 12000 block of Indiana 23 in Granger. The fire was quickly extinguished after crews arrived and firefighters cleared the area of hot spots. At last report, surrounding buildings were currently being checked for signs of damage.

The fire broke out at the Copper Creek Cafe around 10:05am.  The fire burst through the roof of the building.

No one was injured in the fire. S.R. 23 was reduced to one lane of traffic in each direction for nearly four hours.

Clay Fire Territory Assistant Chief, Jaren Kilian said they had to call in extra tankers to help supply water to fight the fire.  "Unfortunately, we don't have any municipal water supply," Kilian said, "there are no hydrants at all so all of the water we bring in is shuttled in by tankers and what the trucks show up with themselves."

Authorities suspect the fire was started when an employee left a cardboard box full of cooking on top of an active cooking griddle. When the box caught fire, the employee attempted to put it out with water from the kitchen sink. However, when the employee placed the box outside, authorities suspect it reignited and was blown back toward the building by strong winds.

Powered by WorldNow

Fox 28

58096 County Road 7, South
Elkhart, IN 46517

Switchboard: 574.679.9758
News Phone: 574.679.4545
Station Fax: 574.294.1267

All content ©Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WSJV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Heather Stewart at (574) 343-5310. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at